Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Everybody Must Get Stoned (or The Friday Song)


Can you guess what this is? No, it's not a moon rock nor is it a old tangerine that is hard. You guessed it, it's a kidney stone and if you know me at all you know that I am fond of these puppies! For the last six or seven years I have struggled with these things and finally I broke, I went to the doctor to take care of the problem.

So on Tues. morning Emilie took down to the ER (after laying in my living room grunting like a drunk cow) to begin the process of kideny stones removal. What did we learn? A couple of things, (1) we always have great nurses whenever we are in the hospital, I tend to have great conversations about theology in there (granted I am pumped full of morphine) (2) I have a big stone that needs serious attention. Next step...go see the urologist on Wednesday morning. (Only after three hours on the phone with my insurance company).

Forward to this morning, 8 am, getting x-rays and seeing the urologist. (its not my-in so it must be u-rine) He looks at my x-rays and states "wow, that's a big stone". He said that lithoscripty will not work because its too big, they will have to operate. Sweet, not only do I hate needles, I have never had surgery nor am I comfortable with the idea of someone cutting open my side, take out my kidney, cutting that open (no joke!), removing the stone, then putting everything back together again.

So I get to wait until the 13th of November to have that, but get to have a smaller "procedure" on Thursday to help elevate some of the pain, which is not helped by a constant stream of Vicodin and Diludid. To top it off, our best friends are coming into town from St. Loius as we speak.

For more information on kidney stones (or to be bored out of your freakin mind) click here. For more cool pictures of kidney stones click here. To interact with me as I sit around my house in a medicated stupor, click below where it says comments.

Go Tigers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are here and excited to hang out even if it is with drugged out Joe! Maybe the sting of the Cardinals winning won't hurt so bad with all the pain medication!

gretchenjohnson said...

Unta Joe!! Sorry about the stoners. I member that was always a painful problem for you. Lay off the coffee coffee coffee. Hope your family is doing great...miss seeing you!

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

I've been told they are worse than child birth...but we won't talk about that